Saturday, January 8, 2011

MD Interview

Interview of Mr. Sanjesh Jawarani by Tanvi Khatri PGDM (IB), Ishan Institute of Management & Technology, Gr. Noida


Mr. Sanjesh Jawarani is a professional Fellow Chartered Accountant. He did his schooling from one of the most reputed institute of Lucknow, that is, Lamartinieres’ College. After that he did his B.com (Hons.) from Ramjas College, Delhi University. He qualified as a Chartered Accountant at the young age of 24 and is practicing till age. With 23 years of experience in his field, he is also a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI).
Tanvi:  What are the best and worst things about your job?
Mr. Sanjesh Jawarani: The best things about my job are the autonomy I have in my role and my colleagues and clients. I have control over the projects and engagements that are assigned to me, so I can actively manage my own schedule. I also really enjoy working in teams at client sites. The interaction with colleagues and clients makes work lots of fun every day.
The worst thing about my job is also the autonomy! With so much control over my own schedule it takes a lot of determination to stay focused and manage everything I have on the go. Just because there’s a deadline in the future, doesn’t mean I can wait to work on it — I have full responsibility for my projects and I have to keep everything moving ahead, whether it’s short-term or long-term.
Tanvi: According to you what could be the scope of students who have aspirations in pursuing a career in CA, in the CA firms?
Mr. Sanjesh Jawarani: It makes a lot of sense for a budding chartered accountant to do an internship with an established CA firm. It will not only give the student a conceptual grounding but also expose him to the practical aspects of business. Finding employment with a reputed CA firm is a classic case of demand and supply.
The world is swarming with students who have aspirations in pursuing a career in CA. But the number of established and reputed CA firms that will pay top dollar for great talent is limited. They want only the best and the brightest. The easiest way to get into a great CA firm is to be the number one student in your class, and then you would have put forth an irresistible case.
It is easier said than done. Another option for the not so bright is to join a firm, take a huge pay cut and be willing to perform the most menial of accounting tasks.
Tanvi: Is it hard to be a Chartered Accountant?
Mr. Sanjesh Jawarani: It is sometimes hard but not that much. Only I can say that it depends upon your own mind and needs patience while going throw this course.

Tanvi: Can you share some of your stress management techniques?

Mr. Sanjesh Jawarani: (Laughs and then says) It’s not us who get stressed; it’s our clients who get stressed. But in case if it happens then I generally do yoga, go for walks or sometimes watch TV.

Tanvi: Do you have any of your goals which are still unachieved?

Mr. Sanjesh Jawarani: Yes, I want to engage one foreigner (American) as a staff in my office.
Tanvi: What action can students take to establish themselves as an attractive candidate to future employers?
Mr. Sanjesh Jawarani: The job market is competitive for graduates and it’s important for candidates to stand out from their peers. These days most university students are getting involved in a number of different activities, both on and off campus. I recommend that students show an interest in their future field of work, as well as participate in events and activities they enjoy.  They should also start developing their network of contacts. And if they enjoy playing sports or volunteering, continue participating in these activities. It will help employers see that they’re well-rounded.
Tanvi: What message or advice you would like to give to the young generation?
Mr. Sanjesh Jawarani: Hmm….I would just like to ask the youngsters to stay focused & optimistic throughout their career plan & success will be arrived as per their hard work & talent. They should not keep a casual attitude towards their life and should grab each and every opportunity which knocks at their door.